Monday, March 26, 2007

BSG - Crossroads Pt. 1

Ok, so I’m way late. I know this. By the time I post this, many of you will know how the whole thing turns out (until next season). Can’t be helped.

There has been some contention in the Tallguy household. I’m on Lee’s side (mostly) and she’s in the Duala camp. My opinion is this: If you’re going to have the trial, have the trial. And all it entails. There is a very strong case (Mr. Zerrick) not to have the trial. I understand that. But don’t kinda have the trial. You also have to go with the conceit that it makes ANY sense for Lee to be there. Part of that argument goes to “there aren’t any lawyers left” that was kind of glanced at at the beginning of the ep. So I might not agree with what Lee is doing, but I get why he’s doing it, and I even think it needs to be done.

What does The Law look like in this “make it up as you go” society? Did existing Colonial law make any provisions for the commander of a battlestar to wield so much power, co-equal to the President? My youngest brother and I were discussing why Now isn’t as good as Then (1st season) and one of the conclusions is that we are too familiar with the Big Powers now. The story is no longer about The President, it’s about Laura. The politics that were so omnipresent first season are almost non-existent. Ah well.

“It’s in the fracking SHIP!” Ah, when all else falters, there is EyeTigh. Being his EyeTigh-eyist. He’s just awesome. Bill and Saul is the great unbreakable love on this show. And I don’t mean that in any way nasty. They have the strongest, truest bond of anyone else. I’m probably referencing the original series too much, but I’m thinking the phantom signals are from Earth. Or at least leading them to Earth.

Laura’s got the cancer back. (What do the Cancer-planet people think of this name? Are they offended? That’s one of the Twelve, yes?) Sign #1,246 that we are in the home stretch next season. Earth, here we come! I loved the kamala exchange between her and Lee. If they had actually continued to show that she and Lee even KNEW each other after Kobol, I might have taken her side. I think she only adores “Captain Apollo” when it’s convenient.

Gaius Baltar: Still so so so lost. RDM made the comparison between GB and Manson, in that they are monsters with a following. I don’t buy that. You can be distanced from Manson. Nobody that was on New Caprica can be distanced from GB. I’m not accepting that he could even be liked, let alone loved.

Lamprey continues to be likeably dislikeable. Being Mark Sheppard doesn’t hurt. One wonders what Laura WOULD have done at New Caprica. We’ve seen her blink in the face of impossible odds before. I don’t think she would have risen up against the Cylons, but I don’t think she would have allowed the insurgency to start either. I wonder if any of the witnesses (Felix? Where are you?) will mark that GB signed the death warrants with a gun to his skull? It’s interesting that he’s being tried (I think) for all the wrong crimes. I think his worst crime was after the election and before the occupation. Again, just me.

Sam is out making the rounds. It’s what Kara would have wanted. Kara was crazy, Sam. In case you missed it, the implication was that he and Tori were involved.

First we don’t like Tori because she’s not Billy (remember Billy? Duala got him killed) and now we don’t like her because she’s going after (one of) Kara’s man (men). And she’s Hearing The Music.

Wild Bill. Sorry, I’m with Lee on this one. Have the trial or don’t. But you still don’t get to call it off because you don’t like how it’s going. Has Lee ever lied to him? (Have to think. I’m sure there will be some glaring instance of it that will be promptly emailed to me.) Kara did. That got to slide. They’ve had more than their share of disagreements, but come on! If Lee says he didn’t know about Ellen (and how on Earth would he?) then he doesn’t. So Bill gets to be a cranky old cuss (and not in a good way) and Lee takes the whole fall for it. Nice.

Next week! Well, last night! For me, right after I post this! THE END OF THE SEASON. As much as I tire of the end of season cliff-hangers, I have to admit, nobody does it better than BSG. So say we all.

1 comment:

Rive Caedo said...

Nobody that was on New Caprica can be distanced from GB. I’m not accepting that he could even be liked, let alone loved.

Did she actually say she was on New Caprica? I can't recall. She and others could have been remaining on Galactica when the occupations started, for one reason or another.

In any case, a few dozen crazies in a post-apocalyptic civilization of over 25,000? I can believe that :)