Monday, December 04, 2006

Monday BSG - An Episode About Boxey!?

Oh, BOXING! Well, wasn't that fun? All the heartbreak you could possibly want served up a in bite-sized 40 minute chunk. Starbuck is evil. We know that now. And Apollo is just bad choices on legs. Poor ADA (Anastasia Duala-Apollo, keep up). (Oh, wait, I'm still mad at her for the whole Billy thing. Way to go, Lee! I think the only one I'm cutting any slack anymore is EyeTigh!) Listen to the podcast this week, it's a hoot. It's Ron Moore, Mrs. Ron, Grace "Rhino Thinks Sharon is Hot" Park, and Tahmoh "I Can't Pronounce Your Name But You're Helo" Penikett. Some fun stories like the fact that Penikett is a big boxing fan, been boxing since high school or something, and the original draft had Apollo cleaning the mat with him. Actually, the ORIGINAL draft didn't have him at all. THEN he got to be mat cleaner. Then he said to Moore "Have you seen me? I'm Helo!" Heh.

You know, for a really terrific episode, I don't have THAT much to write about it (comparatively). Great performances all round. Michael "EyeTigh" Hogan continues to just seethe with every frame he's in. I'm looking forward to the DVD's deleted scenes. Apparently they knew that they wanted to flash back to the "One Year Later" missing year, and they had to use the New Caprica sets while they could, months before they'd shoot the rest of the episode, so as usual they shot more than they could use. One of the things they shot was how EyesTigh and Starbuck got to be buddies. I was more interested in seeing that than the Lee / Kara thing (which I was plenty interested in, sure). I mean, just from their last scenes together in Lay Down Your Burdens (the laugh riot showdown with her, Lee, and Anders) you got a good idea of the rift. I didn't think the specifics were necessary. Oh, except the specifics were more heart-rending than I could have thought possible, so ok. Anyway, they filmed the Tigh / Kara stuff (don't get any ideas you slash nutjobs you) but had to cut it for time. (They really should just start making two-hour episodes.) DVD, here we come!

"The Fighting Agathons" is one of my favorite lines, so when you read TFA, that's who I'm talking about. Kind of like NFL (Non-Fat Lee.)

The best part of the ep was when Wild Bill shut down the Dance and left us all thinking "That's it? What about the Main Event?" THEN we got Kara and Lee. And they were just so very very FURIOUS. I mean, EyeTigh even took a step back. Wow.

Well, next week is Jane "Apartment" Espenson, who was mortified at having to follow this episode. "I'm like the act following The Beatles!" said Jane "I AM the Nerd Trio" Espenson. Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.

p.s. "Hero" made such a non-impression on me that I totally spaced that Three (the press is Evil) had a toaster shoot her in the head so she would resurect and she wound up back at the Opera on Kobol (possibly seeing the other five Cylons)! (Why don't the Cylons settle there instead of Earth? Surely THEY don't care that Kobol is infested with Cylons? They're like the little brother that only wants something because YOU want it. So I've heard...)

No comments: