Thursday, June 12, 2008

BSG 410 Sine Qua Non

Look, Ma, LATIN!

Wow. I had an easier time keeping track of this show when it wasn't as good. Huffin' and puffin' to get curren'(t).

SPOILERS. But good grief, I'm writing these so late (and posting even later) that you should be caught up by now. The show might even be over by this time. (I'm a small voice from the distant past and the like.)

So the president and co. have been whisked away on a Cylon basestar. Wild Bill has to find out what happened. The red-shirt from Demetrius finally buys it (under unseen circumstances). Lee becomes president thanks to the return of Romo "Badger" Lampkin. And Husker reads a book.

Nicely done guys. Sometimes it's cool to just let a cliff-hanger simmer. We also realize (She Who is My Wife and I) that we had NO idea who was on the baseship. (I'll still call them baseSTARS thanks much.) We swore up and down that Starbuck was still on board. Guess not.

So we get to see everyone in the fleet do what we did at the end of the episode last week. "AAAAIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!" And then we get to see the aftermath of events that we didn't even get to see. With any really cool luck, we WON'T get to see them. Just cause I'm ornery that way. I'd rather catch up to everyone in real-time rather than have the time-worn (oh so worn) BSG tradition of "48 hours ago".

Hey look, Wild Bill is going crazy over people he loves again. I think Laura is the bomb too, but will you stop risking the whole human race for your personal interests? Just saying. I'm looking forward to the episode where it's one of his closest loved ones vs. the safety of the fleet and he actually chooses the fleet. He's like a really stoic version of Helo when you get right down to it. Of course, that one time it would be Lee. Poor Lee.

ROMO LAMPKIN! Huzzah! Ok, how many people do you know that see imaginary people, robots, pets? Not many? Well, on BSG I think that if you're NOT seeing imaginary people (robots, pets) that you're the odd one. I think they could have done just fine without the Fight Club cat.

Dead Natalie. Very sad. If I was a more bitter, petty man I'd say "Here's that mortality you were after!" And there are almost consequences for Athena. Very nearly. So close.

So, did the resurrected sixes, twos, and eights get boxed by the Cavils? (Did Natalie die before or after they found the remains of the hub? Did she resurrect just in time to be blown up?)

There has been a depressing dearth of Leoben in these eps. Are we ever going to see a Simon or a Doral again? Other than right before they say "All Will Be" (heh heh HA HA HA HAAAAA HAAHHAAA!) "Revealed"?

iTigh is acting with his whole eye this ep! Michael Hogan rocks. Still think he should tell Bill. So Admiral Tigh, huh? (And why is he Admiral? Why not Commander? Why is Bill still an Admiral?) And it doesn't seem like the end of the world like last time. Wow. He should still tell Bill. (In case you missed it - and I did - Tigh was wearing his Admiral's pips a couple of weeks early a few episodes ago. Oops.)

Where's Anders? Anyone seen Tyrol lately?

President Leland Adama, eh? Well. This will be exciting. Especially when (if?) Laura comes back. It's interesting the WAYS that the Colonial government is falling apart. Laura does what she wants (and can) for the protection of the fleet and the whole quorum is up in arms. Leaks to the press, disregard for her authority, etc. But when Wild Bill just flat out will not deal with a civil leader (Thomas Zarek) then everyone scrambles to throw the poor sod overboard. So let me get this straight: Laura is president again, not by election, just because she's not the one who dragged them all through New Caprica. Yet despite this popularity, everyone is deeply troubled by her "unchecked power". But when it comes time to put the guy who's really in line of succession for the job, that won't stand. I know it's been a long hard four years, but this is the group that put a school teacher, 43rd in line of succession, in the office of the presidency, not because they were happy about it, but because it's the rules. Now they're going to give the job to Lee "my daddy gave me a battlestar" Adama? I'm a little confused over the will of this people and this legislature.

So Wild Bill isn't going to be Admiral anymore. (Kind of solves the whole "he won't talk to Zarek" problem, doesn't it?) "I can't live without her." Awwwwww. Nice to see Bill in the pilot jammies. "Nothing but the rain." I don't know why that line gets me every single time. Godspeed, Husker.

So say we all. Boom boom boom.

1 comment:

Rive Caedo said...

And there are almost consequences for Athena. Very nearly. So close.

Almost? She's in a cell and has lost the basic human privileges she worked for over a year to get.

I didn't particularly like Lampkin putting the gun to Lee. If they had revealed the gun wasn't loaded, then I would have.

I think this episode probably had more minutes of The Adama Formerly Known As Admiral interacting with people other than Roslin than the entire rest of the season combined. Granted I love their scenes together, but I also like to see him elsewhere! So it gets points for that.

It's all over until 2009 (supposedly) in just a few hours. I can't wait to see how annoying they make the 6-18 month cliffhanger.