Saturday, October 20, 2007

Sad Sparky

Yeah, I'm way behind. Two episodes of Firefly, couple of Heroes (it's slow, but it's good). Been playing Half Life 2.2 / Portals ("...and then there will be cake!") and working on Star Trek: Of Gods and Men (December, we mean it this time!).

But this article caught my eye. And I have to say, Sparky's "life of misery" wasn't so secret to anyone who actually READ Peanuts, not just read the greeting cards. Heck, go watch "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" or "A Charlie Brown Christmas". I'm not saying Schultz was Stephan Pastis or anything. (For one thing, his puns weren't as bad.) But all of the best Peanuts cartoons had a strong undertow of melancholy. And we loved them. I don't know what the book is really like (I still need to get Clarence Thomas' book), but the headline doesn't surprise me in the slightest. "Happiness is a sad song" sounds just about right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please note, we have added a consequence for failure to release Of Gods and Men by December. Any contact with January will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official record, followed by death. Good luck.