Tuesday, March 13, 2007

BSG - It's the LAW!

The Son Also Rises

Now this is BSG firing on all cylinders. And they FINALLY wrote a really good Lee episode! It's been since, what, Captain's Hand?

After the GREAT scene with the Adama's, SWIMW grumbled "They killed Starbuck just so they could have that scene, didn't they?" I said no, but it was a great bonus. I was really worried that they were going to have to skip past all of this kind of thing. Or Bill looking at Kara's file. (I laughed when the first thing that jumped out at you was "DISCIPLINARY ACTION".) Or any of the bits with Anders. I really thought we would never see Sam again.

AND they introduced a great new character AND did a great story. BSG used to do this pretty effortlessly and consistently. Heck, we used to have to cut away to Helo and Sharon every week.

Lee - oh, THIS is the Lee that I missed. "Serial Contritian" (or however that's spelled). That's our Captain Apollo. Who's heart didn't break when he called Racetrack "Starbuck"? (I know, it was supposed to, but just because it's manipulative doesn't mean it isn't good.) And it's nice to find out that his relationship with Grandpa was just as confused as the one with dad. I would have liked to see what's going on at home with ADA in the Starbuck aftermath. But they kept a lot of balls in the air this week, so I've got to forgive a couple.

WildBill - Wow, I've missed the Father / Son dynamic that was a cornerstone of the show. I've missed seeing just how crazy Bill is about his boy. One of the high points of the series was when they had just about wiped out the fleet looking for Starbuck and Apollo asks WildBill "What if it was me?" And WB looks at him and says "How can you ask me that?" It's also great seeing (still) how WB totally unable to let Lee know how crazy about him he is. And how much Kara's death is killing him. Run with it, Eddie!

Badger! Ooooh he was good! He was a rock star! I can't wait for the next two eps if they have him in it. I hope they think twice before killing him off for good. (Three times, I guess. He was supposed to die THIS week.) I loved seeing how he played everyone around him, probably not even knowing he was doing it. I take that back. He ALWAYS knows he's doing it. He's like Gaius Baltar, only only without the innocence. The scene where we see Baltar furiously searching for SOMETHING, then see Badger totally USE Baltar's pen against Six, ooooh. That was masterful. The sun glasses were a major affectation, but gosh they worked. At first I thought the Joseph Adama connection was a tad reachy, but it worked out very quickly. Poor Jamie Bamber, sitting in the room with James Callis and Mark Shepard, wondering "How come *I* have to have the fake accent?"

Gaius is getting interesting again. He's moving into his new kind of crazy. He really truly feels he is the wronged party and is willing to play that to the hilt. He's kind of bewildered at why he is where he is. Which is hilarious.

Six - well. Is that the luckiest piece of casting ever? They cast a model and they got an actress. She really is one of the great suprises of the show. I've said it before. I'll say it again.

Not enough EyeTigh. Looks like that gets fixed next week.

No comments: