Friday, December 15, 2006

Pulp Fiction

Interesting movie news the last couple of days. First of is the news that Sam "Evil Dead / Spider-Man" Raimi (let's not forget he was the producer behind Xena) is going to be making a new Shadow movie. I think the 1994 Shadow with Alex "Why Are You STILL in the Country" Baldwin is a great "almost" movie. It was like a genuine Shadow movie was being made and then some fool started watching Burton's Batman too much. I also recently read that Raimi almost got to do it back then, but was passed over. So he went and made Darkman. Ahhh a terrible price is sometimes paid.

Now today I read that Guillermo "Hellboy" Del Toro is looking to make Tarzan. I liked Hellboy a lot. I think it skipped a bit in the last act and I always felt it was a little incomplete. But I can come up with worse folks to do Edgar Rice Burrows. Wonder if it will come out at the same time as the perpetualy "Coming Soon" John Carter of Mars?

And now on the opposite side of the pulps, CLASSIC HEROIC LITERATURE. Robert "Back to the Future / Forrest Gump / Contact" Zemeckis is making BEOWULF. This is the stuff that kept J.R.R. Tolkien writing into the wee hours of the dawn. One of Tolkien's earliest works was an english translation. I'm not always crazy about Zemeckis, but you have to admit he pretty much always gets the movie he's going for. I love it when a director gets the clout to make anything he wants and then does.

No comments: