Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Lost Moon

(Did you know Jim Lovell is from Wisconsin? Has streets named after him and everything! But this isn't about him. I just stole his title.)

It always amazes me the things that get lost. For instance, I discovered that Paramount had lost the original miniature of the Next Generation Enterprise. Ok, 1) It's BIG! It's six feet long! and 2) ok, I know the three foot miniature of the Original Series Enterprise remains lost to this day. But that was back when Star Trek was a failed TV show, never to be heard from again. So I can understand that. This was after Trek had been around for 25 years, was a cultural phenomenon and TNG had run for SEVEN YEARS! And they just LOST it? Mind you, it's about to be auctioned off for an expected $60,000! (See honey, makes the Master Replicas Enterprise look kind of... affordable!)

But that's not what I'm writing about. They LOST THE MOON FILMS! What are they going to do next? Misplace the Constitution?!? (Ship, document, I don't care, pick one. Hey look! It's Napoleon's birthday!) I also read recently that the bits of the Skylab program that aren't in the NASM are falling to bits, to say nothing of being a popular site for keggers. (You have Google, go look it up.) The Saturn V that sits outside Johnson Space Center is also falling apart. 50 years from now we'll say "Hrmm. Where did this stuff go?" I'll be old and won't remember my name anymore. But I'll probably intermittently mumble stuff like "HAN SHOT FIRST!" or "THERE IS NO THIRD PLANET!" and of course "WE CHOOSE TO GO TO THE MOON!" The rest home staff will love that.

(This just in -- Jim Lovell is NOT from Wisconsin. His wife is, and he went to school there. He's from Cleveland, OH! Why isn't there a James Lovell street THERE? For that matter, how come there isn't a Jerry Siegel street and a Joel Schuster Lane? Heh, Lane... Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, my toe!)

No comments: