Thursday, August 24, 2006

Firefly at NRO

Well, I guess that you CAN take the sky from me. Twice as it turns out.

But here's the Serenity thread that's been going on over at National Review, where it's been determined that Firefly is "more obscure than BSG, and quite nerdier than Star Trek."

A reader emailed in:

Jonah,

One of the problems when determining “author intent” in fandom is the exclusion of other authors. While Whedon is the writer/director of the film Serenity he is only the co-creator of the show. He worked with his friend/colleague Tim Minear, who wants to make a film version of “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.” Minear’s politics are far more Libertarian than Whedon, who was after all a Westly Clark supporter (and Kerry as well). In fact, most of the Libertarian/Conservatism of the Buffyverse/Fireflyverse is Minear’s influence and not Whedon’s.


But was countered with the reply from Mr. Minear himself!

Tim Minear is My Master Now

Tim Minear, High Lord of the Whedonverse, writes:
While I'm certainly flattered that your friend credits me with any libertarian/conservative influence on "Firefly", or even the larger Whedonverse, I didn't create "Firefly." Joss did. Mal was always a libertarian leaning character and he was born utterly from Joss's giant brain. It's not like it was Collectivists In Space! before I came along. Mal was not my creation, I just got to wear him for a while— and turned out he fit. If Joss could only write from the point of view of characters with which he agreed, he wouldn't be Joss.

Though I did come up with the whole "vampire slayer" thing. Not that Kerry-boy would ever admit it.

Update: Glenn Reynolds has a podcast where they talk with Minear re politics etc.

Guess I'm going to have to go listen to the podcast.

BTW, I'd say the odds of Serenity II: The Leaf Strikes Back are looking a little shady at the moment. *sigh*

No comments: