Friday, May 19, 2006

Pixar

Dear Old Dad sent me this.

These were the people that put out "Cinderella II."
Nice to know Lasseter considers this the same level of evil that I do.

And Bob simply said, "This is going to be very expensive, so it's in my best interest to do everything I can to keep it the same."
Why can't more movie people make that much sense? Or TV people? Or Fox executives with a penchant for canceling my favorite show! (Grrrr! Arrrgh!)

His classmates included Tim Burton (director of "Corpse Bride" and others), Brad Bird ("The Incredibles"), and John Musker ("Aladdin").
And being taught by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnson. Yikes!

By the end I was just shaking. I looked around the audience, and it was families, it was teenagers, it was old people--everybody was there, and everybody was just having so much fun.
Ok people, tell me again how Star Wars was made for little kids and I just don't like the prequels because I'm a grown up now. Hogwash.

Tron - Heh. There's a woman who works at Pixar (or at least did a few years ago) who has a sign on her desk that says "Yes, I worked on Tron. Yes, I will answer questions."

It always cracks me up that "Ed Catmull" is somebody's NAME. I mean - Catmull means THIS stuff.

Sure, they were simple desk lamps with only a minimal amount of movement, but you could immediately tell that Luxo Jr. was a baby, and that the big one was his mother. In that short little film, computer animation went from a novelty to a serious tool for filmmaking.
You know, I can model the Luxos. Take me about an hour. Maybe. But oh, the animation in that short. They're so alive! I still think this is some of Pixar's finest work period.

But we asked them for one more chance to fix the story. So we called all hands on deck, stayed up all night, and redid the whole first act of "Toy Story" within two weeks.
Oh, and they got a hold of that Joe Sweedon guy. "Wind the frog!" Whatever happened to him?






"How many letters are in my name?" - Ok, that'll stick with me.

I'm so excited about Cars now I can't see straight.

No comments: