Friday, May 19, 2006

TDC - Why is it a big deal?

Why is The Da Vinci Code such a big deal? It's not. Well. That was a lot shorter than I'd intended. Maybe I need to expand.

Yes. It's fiction. And from what I've read from some scholarly types, it's very out there fiction (from a historical to say nothing of theological bent). But it's kind of like when THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW (I'd have put that in a scarier font if I could) came out last year. That was the one where the entire eastern seaboard flash froze and the Vice President (the true evil behind the drone) was killed in an avalanche. Article after article had reputable scientists saying "Oh, it's complete hoo hah. Nothing like that could ever happen. But it makes you think, doesn't it?" Um. Why does it make me think? You just told me it was all horse manure (which should be burned as an alternative fuel).

TDC wants it both ways. They want to tell you "THE TRUTH SO IMPORTANT THAT PEOPLE DIED FOR IT." Unless it upsets you. Then it's just a lightharted romp. (That says questionable if not slanderous things about a major part of the lives of nearly twenty percent of the people on the planet. And that's just the Catholic part.) Um. Pick one.

And yes, as I've said, part of my irritation is that you could not make this movie about ANY other faith in the world. The old saw that before you print an newspaper article about a religion, go through the article and replace "X" with "Jew". Or these days "Islam".

The Last Temptation of Christ didn't bother me. It was an intersting movie, it said interesting things. It's one of my brother Jeff's favorite books, if I recall correctly. (Hey, if I'm wrong, this blog is just a lighthearted romp.)

Dogma didn't bother me. It had one or two exceptional moments (featuring Ben "I Wanna Be Kirk" Aflek no less). And it convinced me that however much I appreciate Kevin Smith I don't like his movies.

(Why is the big controvercy always that Jesus shacked up and had kids? Why is that so exciting to people? I mean, would that idea have been so exciting to 1st century Christians?)

Maybe this one just has a better marketing campaign.

Now, if you want to go see a labarythine plot with plenty of forgotten lore that really is an exciting romp: Go see National Treasure. THAT was a hoot!

Maybe this weekend I'll get to see Mission: Impossible III.

No comments: