Thursday, December 21, 2006

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

But is that December or March?

Well, this is an interesting article. Myself, I never worried about it all that much. I know some people hang a very big hat on the idea that Christianity "stole" Christmas. That alone makes it all... Something. (If specifically Christian imagery shows up someplace, well, that's just coincedence.) I think that after two THOUSAND years (or so) the argument gets a little tired. But this would certainly be an interesting twist. I hope my better educated readers (and siblings) would comment on what they know. Me? I'm going to enjoy the end of Advent and the beginning of Christmas.

p.s. From the comments:

"Why March 25 as the key date? Because it was the date associated with the vernal equinox (and thus with equal day and night, divine balance and all that) and the month of Nisan (and thus Pesach) in the Jewish calendar was (eventually) keyed off in relation to that. Et cet."

It's also the day that Gollum fell into the Cracks of Doom, clutching the Ring.
That Tolkien, what a rascal!

No comments: